Past design projects

September 05, 2012

I am currently trudging through my second semester as a design student at COFA - the College of Fine Arts of UNSW. Taking on this course was one of the best decisions of my life.

After experiencing somewhat bittersweet year of studying Maths at UTS, I began to realise that I wasn't heading down the path I really wanted to go. Taking my chances, I reapplied for new uni courses with one in particular that I really wanted - UTS' Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication. I had even received the chance for an interview - meaning I was short-listed, but I didn't end up getting the offer. However, I think a different life plan was set out for me - I got the offer from COFA and I haven't looked back ever since. I never felt disappointed in failing to get into the visual communication course because now that I'm at COFA, I've come to realise that this was the course perfect for me.

I guess the best perk you can get from studying design at COFA is the opportunity of experiencing different disciplines of design - not being restricted to one type of design. Personally for me, I have always seen myself as a more graphics person but through the many projects I've done so far, I can't wait to do more and challenge myself.

So, enough rambling! Here's some of my past works done in semester one and early second semester. Some I'm proud of, some I'm not. I'm still improving and learning. Hopefully next year I'll have much more amazing works to show.

Click here to ..



"The Inspiration Helmet"

My Polyhedra Helmet for a Studio 1 Project 3. It is named the "Inspiration Helmet"

This was the image that I was influenced hugely by. I wanted to create a helmet that could utilize both sides of the brain - the creative and the logic. I believe the fusion between both sides can accomplish one's full potential especially to be inspired and motivated.

Studio 1 Project 1. We had to draw someone in different images - showing their story and who they were. I chose my boyfriend. I showed him and he didn't like it - said most of the photos that I drew were taken when he was drunk. Ah well.

"Masking Tape Chandelier"

Studio 4 Project 1. We were given three case studies which were to analyse and explore design principles. I had chosen a case study about the Alessi Coffeemaker. The aim of this piece was to challenge the typical use of the “mundane” item—masking tape. The hands were incorporated into my design to reflect Delisi's "play" and anthropomorphist approach to design.

A Photoshop assignment for Design and Computers. Not particularly proud  of it. We had to create a  Horror movie poster in 1950s style by creating a monster out of 5 different images of animals - we also had to somehow incorporate an image of ourselves T____T

An Illustrator assignment for Design and Computers. The Brief asked us to create a WWF poster with three animals that we were to draw ourselves. As you can see, that geometrical background kind of stuck with me (if you look at my blog's header image haha)

Studio 2 Project 1. So basically this project showed me that I really need to work on my understanding of "abstract". We were asked to do several abstract drawings of different places from our memory, the university and the city. Obviously done last minute.
Studio 2 Project 2. Yes I am well aware that it looks like a cow skin. It's not meant to be.
We had to use an A1 map of the university campus to create an abstract representation of two main places. I transformed the geometrical look of the map to a world map look - to show how each building is like a country. Every building is specific to a certain faculty, so certain students will feel more welcome than others. My two main places are shown with tiny detail in the top left corner - Library Lawn and the Quadrangle. Downside of my piece was that my worl-map look took grabbed more attention than my two places.

Studio 2 Project 3. From the map and the drawings from the past projects we had to create a spatial design item to enhance one of the main places we chose in Project 2. I chose to focus on the Quadrangle. I wanted to create a place for people to enjoy the sun - but be sheltered, choose different ways to sit and to reduce the "emptiness" felt in the wide area. It was also especially shaped to suit any place between the many paths of the quadrangle. (Made of Balsa wood, cardboard, plastic and Styrofoam)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.