Do the Logomotion

April 04, 2014


As the fifth week of semester rolls in, I'm starting to feel the pressure of a third year design student. The level of expectations from our tutors is now a lot higher and the workload keeps on piling up. Despite all this - I think it is a tad too early to be complaining. I've told myself that it is time to become more on top of things and to dedicate less time to window online shopping during lectures (probably won't).




Mid semester break is just around the corner so that means the next few weeks are choc-a-block with uni projects. One of them in particular is for Graphics Media 3 - which we look at the branding identity of a certain company. The company in the brief I chose was EMC (Electrical Motorcycle Company). These were my three initial logos:



After some feedback a lot of people liked the first one and my initial thought was - "seriously?". But then I realised that it did have a stronger aesthetic to it than the others. It also was the one logo that deifnitely looked "together". The second one was very experimental and didn't really look legible. The last one .. it's a bit bland that one. Let's not talk about that one.

Here's a mock up of a business card:


And the progress of the logo so far:




Basically my concept behind this logo was to attract city/urban living young adults from 25-35 years of age and more towards males - but not exclusive to just them. I wanted a sheike, slightly expensive and polished aesthetic. I looked at the branding of Harley Davidson and Ducati - and I wanted to shy away from the rugged masculine look or the sporty badge look. So I had ended up with this 1920s, art deco and geometrical aesthetic.

I think the more I add, the more it becomes a bit too much for a logo. I'm not too sure if I want to decorate it more or to leave it as is? Another predicament I have is the placement of the full company name "Electrical Motorcycle Company". Anyone got any suggestions?




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.