Decorate the cake!

May 28, 2016


This year, my little baby sister turned eighteen. EIGHTEEN.

I swear it was only a few moments ago she was rolling around on her sneakers with wheels on them and lip-syncing to Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue to our 2 megapixel webcam... I'm really starting to feel very old.

Since it was a pretty spesh birthday party (honestly, half the guests thought they were entering a wedding reception) I thought I would create something custom-made and unique for her birthday. When she decided that Unbirthday Bakery was going to make her cake, I thought - yep, definitely going to design a special cake topper to match the cake work-of-art.


How I did it:
  • I did some sketches (the above .gif was my first draft - had to redo it because apparently it says "Kirsten twins Eighteen". Oops - legibility, folks!)
  • Once I was happy with it I transferred it onto Illustrator to refine it
  • Added a long stem to the bottom of the "g" so it could stick into the cake
  • Sent my vector file to KINK studio to laser cut it into gold acrylic


...and then voila! In a few days' time, a mirror gold cake topper was made!


Here's the birthday girl with the finished product! (She totally looks older than me, right?)


If you or someone special has a birthday or celebration coming up that involves cake (what doesn't?!) - I would love to do up some more custom cake toppers! Email me* or comment below and I'll get back to you with prices and details! :)


* [at] = @. The reason I changed it is to avoid unwanted spam so don't forget to change it when you email me :)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.