Finally done!

June 17, 2016


First off, as I am posting this I am on a train going from Tokyo to Osaka that is going about 350 kilometres per hour. How crazy is that?

As a congratulatory gift to myself I wanted to go travelling to celebrate the five tiresome years of being a university student (four being a design student). So here follows a post on my journey through university and choosing my career path:



If we go back to the end of 2010 - I was walking out of the gates of high school thinking - "well, where the hell am I supposed to go now?" Back then, as a 17 year old who had no idea which university to go to or which course to take - I did the only thing I could do ... wing it.

I did all my HSC exams, applied for the courses I thought I'd like and just hoped for the best. It wasn't until a few weeks before our ATAR was released that I realised that I wanted to get into a visual communications course - but as usual - I was too late. It was too late for me to make the effort to get the scores I wanted and I was just over it. Eventually I got my results and got into UTS for the Bachelor of Science: Mathematics/International Studies course. 

After a year I hated. Absolutely hated it.

I loved math in high school but oh this was another level and it wasn't so interesting to me anymore. Through that year I had all my friends tell me that it was ridiculous that I chose this course and that it didn't seem like a career I would like. They egged me on constantly about applying for a design degree - and it took me a while to realise that I did agree with them.

What held me back was the fear that I would not be successful. The fear that I was just simply not talented enough. I knew so many talented creatives and I didn't think I was up to that level. 

But I couldn't take any more statistics tutorials or computational derivative* assignments any longer. So I took the plunge and applied. Months later I got into the Bachelor of Design at UNSW Art & Design and have absolutely no regrets.


So then after four years of laughable assignments (Eg. paper helmet making), printing frustrations, 560 hours of interning, stressful model making, rushed pin-ups and making up reasons why I chose that shade of brown - I have finally graduated from my design degree!!! 

And I can sure say that four years of that totally beat one whole year of trying to keep up in a math degree.

Ever since, I've been employed as a full time graphic designer at the company I have loved working for. What I've learnt is that you should never listen to those who doubt you because its not up to them on what your life should be like. Follow your passion and things will definitely work themselves out.

*Totally made that up as I've totally wiped my memory of anything math related. Haha.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.